WREKIN SWORD CLUB
The club is a member of British Fencing and adheres to British Fencing’s policies and procedures for the Safeguarding of children, young people and adults.
Fencing should be enjoyable – challenging at times but enjoyable. All members should feel comfortable and safe when fencing at the club.
The welfare and safeguarding of young people and adults is everyone’s responsibility. Everyone in the club – administrator, club official, coach, parent, fencer – can help.
Safeguarding is everybody’s business. It is important for everyone to be alert to possible signs of abuse or neglect and acting on their concerns.
Safeguarding is personal – if someone feels uncomfortable with the actions of another person then that is a safeguarding issue.
Anyone who is a coach must be up-to-date with mandatory Safeguarding training.
Data Protection – members’ personal data is for club use only and will never be shared outside the club.
Actions on concerns
In accordance with current British Fencing Association guidelines the club has a Welfare Officer, whose role encompasses Child Protection, Welfare and Safeguarding. As a first point of contact, if a fencer has concerns about safeguarding and does not wish to discuss it with a coach, they should contact the club’s Welfare Officer – Patricia Tighe – email@example.com
Other points of contact are:
West Midlands Region Welfare Officer: Ismay Cowan firstname.lastname@example.org 01952 740 429
British Fencing’s Lead Welfare Officer - Liz Behnke – Equality and Safeguarding Manager – email@example.com 077177 40125
British Fencing’s Safeguarding Hotline - 07526 003030
Sources of help and advice outside of fencing:
• Child Protection in Sport Unit: - www.thecpsu.org.uk email: firstname.lastname@example.org • telephone number: 0116 234 7278
• NSPCC: - www.nspcc.org.uk email: email@example.com • Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 • Childline: 0800 1111
• Shropshire Safeguarding Children’s Board – www.safeguardingshropshireschildren.org.uk • National Association for People Abused in Childhood - www.napac.org.uk
• Stop it now (this is for adults relating to the prevention of sexual abuse) – www.stopitnow.org.uk
• Your GP • British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy - www.bacp.co.uk
All club officials and coaches are DBS checked.